Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, July 14, 2011

How to make shirred sundresses










 I love the way these dresses turned out and  I was surprised to discover that shirring is really pretty simple.  I found a great basic shirring tutorial by Kathleen at Grosgrain and it worked like a charm.  You can find the tutorial here.  I did have to make a few adjustments to my tension and stitch length, I have a newer Bernina Machine and it bunched it up to much so I used a  2 1/2" stitch length and adjusted my tension to 6 and that seemed to be perfect, you kinda just have to play around with it because machines aren't always the same.

These dresses could have been a lot easier if I would have had enough of the same fabric, I had to piece mine together to get two dresses out of the different prints of fabric.  You can make these dresses out of a rectangle of  fabric and get the same effect.  Measure around chest and add about 4", sew a seam up the back,  hem both top and bottom, shirr and add straps.




And of course I had to make some matching hair clips from the leftover fabric.


01 02